Is there anything better than spending a few days on a Caribbean beach? After my experience at La Concha Resort, I’d say you can’t do much better than a vacation in Condado! My recent Puerto Rico trip was also my first time on the island, so I had no idea what to expect. Driving down Ashford Avenue on our way to the resort, I could immediately tell that I was staying in a special area. In fact, Condado is home to a beautiful tropical beach, bustling nightlife, high-end shopping, and trendy dining. La Concha Resort is nestled among all of these activities, making it the perfect vacation spot. In this post, I’ll be detailing my stay at La Concha Resort as well as why I’m already ready to visit again.
However, before we get there, I want to address a concern that many people have about visiting Puerto Rico. Multiple readers have asked me about the state of San Juan after Hurricane Maria. I found the city to be entirely back on its feet. People are out and about, the beaches are clean, and there’s no longer any outstanding evidence of the destruction. For my American readers, in particular, I’d say Puerto Rico is your best option for a tropical escape. Think about it: no passport needed. Enough about that, though, let me show you how obsessed I am with La Concha!
La Concha Resort is broken down into two different towers: the Ocean Tower and the Suite Tower. When entering the lobby, the Ocean Tower elevators will be directly in front of you, while the Suites’ elevator is just down the walkway to the right. The room layouts in these two towers differ, with Ocean Tower’s accommodations being similar to a hotel room. On the other hand, the Suite Tower rooms have more space, typically in the form of sitting rooms, more extensive patios, and kitchen areas.
If you’d like to have an ocean view specifically, make sure that you book a room that says “ocean view” or “oceanfront”. Certain rooms also have a “resort view”. I think the oceanfront rooms are definitely worth the extra expense! We would eat breakfast out on our patio and watch the beach. At night, we felt like we were falling asleep to a noise machine as the waves lulled us into slumber. I highly recommend the oceanfront rooms in the Suite Tower.
La Concha‘s Amenities
When checking into La Concha, I was blown away by the pure size of the property. Once you arrive, it’s honestly not necessary that you leave. Just within the walls of the resort, you can find restaurants, cafés, and multiple bar options. To get a better idea, here are the resort’s current dining options:
- Perla: This restaurant is located within the “concha” or shell. It serves mainly seafood and is a great place to watch the sunset.
- Delicias: Serving Puerto Rican dishes daily, the idea behind Delicias is to bring the taste of homemade Puerto Rican food to guests.
- Solera: This open-air poolside restaurant serves both lunch and dinner. I suggest sharing the tapas at dinnertime with friends.
- Serreno Beach Bar & Grill: You’ll find this option next to the infinity pool. It’s very convenient and has a delicious sangria.
- Komakai Sushi Bar: Located in the lobby, check out this option if you’re feeling like a bit of sushi. I recommend going on 2×1 Sushi Tuesdays, from 6 PM to 11 PM.
- Serafina: A lovely mix of Italian cuisine and cocktails.
- Aroma Café: On your way to the pool in the morning, grab a coffee and croissant at this café, located in the middle of the lobby.
- The Lobby: The lobby at La Concha comes alive at night, with drink specials, parties, and shows.
Not only that, there are also three different pools, a casino and a fitness center. Last but not least, I can’t forget to mention La Concha‘s beachfront location.
Ready to hit the beach? Just walk downstairs! You can request towels at any of the stands by the pools or beach, and you only need to give your room number. The resort also provides complimentary chairs and umbrellas at the same stand. Although Condado Beach isn’t the best for swimming (the tide is typically strong), it has many other advantages. I found it to be peaceful, quiet, and the perfect place to read a book or lounge in the sun.
La Concha Favorites
As the resort is so large, I wanted to take the time to narrow down some of my favorite things about staying at La Concha. These may help you in your vacation planning!
- The adults-only pool is fantastic for those looking to escape from the noise of more family-oriented areas. Plus, waiters frequently visit this area, and you’re able to order a cocktail or meal while lounging by the pool.
- Staying directly on the beach couldn’t have been more convenient. Although Condado isn’t a private beach, it feels like one. I also loved that the beach chairs and umbrellas were complimentary, as many resorts charge for these items.
- The signature La Concha cocktails are quite yummy. For a taste of the Caribbean, try the “Condado Tropical”.
- Having all of the restaurants and bars right at our fingertips within the resort made everything so much easier. We didn’t feel like we had to be in a rush to get ready for dinner. All we had to do was walk downstairs!
- I’ve said it before, but I’ll repeat it: the beachfront rooms are 100% worth it. I enjoyed being able to take in the full experience of being at the beach, even when we were in the suite.
Wednesday 5th of December 2018
I love your blog Leah ! Keep the good job